Number Five

lundi, le 02 janvier 2012

I have now successfully procrastinated myself to the end of the second day of yet another year.

A part of me is adamant not to merrily go down the waterslide of this year and, when I come through the last bend and suddenly see the inviting cool blue water in front of me, have a mild anxiety attack because I didn’t really appreciate the view on the way down and I didn’t really make the most of the ride.

As I am swimming away from the ride on 2011’s waterslide, I’m looking forward to doing some things differently in 2012.

One can only re-write the same story so many times before it becomes dreadfully boring.

To desire change is one thing, to make change happen, quite something else. Similarly, getting inspiration for change is one thing, being sufficiently inspired to change, quite something else. I’m pretty good at looking for inspiration and not very discriminate about where my inspiration comes from, as long as it has no religious undertones.

So that got me wondering what 2012 may hold and how on god’s sweet earth am I going to extract the best from it? Surely it must lie in the numbers? That’s all a year is, after all. Just a sequence of numbers. As a researcher, I know that numbers can often tell a fascinating story, you just need to know where to look.

Very loosely, according to the principals of numerology, the year 2012 reduces to the Number 5. I immediately ask my Bestest Friend, Aunty Google, what this means.

She tells me that Number 5 is the most flexible of all numbers. I like that. She also tells me that Number 5 makes friends easily, is versatile and multi-talented, upbeat and inspirational and a good communicator and motivator. Does not only have great verbal skills but is also very dynamic, persuasive, adaptable, versatile and curious, courageous, bright and quick-witted.

Number 5 is an explorer, an adventurer. Someone who wants to experience all of life, who likes to perform in front of audiences and likes to do several things at the same time.

Ah! It’s day two of spending time with Number 5 and it sounds like it’s going to be a great year!!!

Then I dig a bit deeper. The whole of me can be reduced to number 1. Given my penchant for attracting every broken winged pigeon and over investing in them, I wonder what the future holds for Number 5 and I.

My Bestest Friend tells me that we have an easy compatibility and seem to be a natural fit. It doesn’t get any better than that!! Yay!!

But I will keep my eyes open for Number 5’s darker side. That finding it difficult to commit to one relationship is one of Number 5’s weaknesses, doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s a year we are talking about here, not someone who is going to share the bed with The Princess and me!

And I will be weary of Number 5’s difficulties to finish projects, lack discipline and order, impatience, restlessness, ability to be easily distracted and impulsiveness. Those sound way too familiar!!

In keeping with the theme of five, I have already spent five long days lacking the discipline to tie up the loose ends of 2011 and clean the slate for 2012. And now I can procrastinate no more. Tomorrow it’s back to the grind stone.

So, in my own personal protest against China’s colonialisation of Africa, I’m going to boycott Mahjong until the Dalai Lama is granted a visa to travel to my country.

And I’m going to focus on the strengths of the relationship between Number 5 and me.

Here’s to a fabulous 2012!


(The music: One of my many favourite John Lennon songs and particularly appropriate for this time of the year.

(The photograph: My five darling bundles of velvet having their Happy Xmas dinner, well out of The Princess’ reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment